Laura Faye Gephart, MD
Focusing on a medical specialty traditionally known as urogynecology or female urology, Dr. Gephart specializes in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery (FPMRS).
Dr. Gephart cares for women with these conditions:
• Urinary dysfunction, including urinary incontinence, urinary leakage, urinary retention, recurrent UTI, microscopic hematuria, and painful bladder syndrome (formerly known as interstitial cystitis).
• Vesicovaginal Fistula, Gender Affirming Care, Urinary Retention, Painful Sex, Constipation, Vaginal Agenesis and Anomalies, Vaginal Reconstruction, and "fallen" bladder and rectum.
• Defecatory dysfunction, including fecal incontinence, stool leakage, difficult defecation, and constipation.
• Pelvic floor dysfunction, which can involve pelvic organ prolapse (cystocele, rectocele, enterocele, fallen bladder, rectum, or uterus) and painful sex.
• Surgical complications related to mesh erosion and fistula of the bladder or bowel.
• Birth complications, including obstetric anal sphincter injury, episiotomy pain, and complications.
Dr. Gephart’s medical degree is from the Loma Linda University School of Medicine in Loma Linda, California, where she also earned a masters of business administration degree in health care administration.
She completed her residency at the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida. During her FPMRS fellowship at Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple, Texas, Dr. Gephart worked with world-class pelvic surgeons. She is a dedicated and comprehensive clinician and a skilled surgeon comfortable with minimally invasive and vaginal surgeries for a variety of indications. She also adeptly manages pelvic floor disorders with non-surgical management when appropriate and preferred by her patients.
Dr. Gephart was previously at the University of Texas, Rio Grande Valley where she was an Assistant Professor at a new medical school. She is a passionate advocate for patients and her profession through her work with the American Medical Association, specialty organizations, and state and county medical societies.
Dr. Gephart is an active researcher and has published numerous articles in medical publications. She has presented seminars and programs at conferences around the country. She speaks English and Spanish.
* This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Allegheny Health Network. Please note that modifying search criteria and/or author’s name may enhance search results.